"I'm not giving you these experiences for yourself. Write them down!"
-Henry B. Eyring

Facts about Current Area: Geneva Switzerland

*approx. 6 square miles
*population : approx 200,000
*Language: Mainly French
*Famous for: Jewelery, watches and historic monuments
*Best time to visit: June to September
*The City was ranked second best in terms of standard of living, in the whole world.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

02/24/09 Back in Switzerland!

Hey Everyone,
So much has happened the passed week, so, I’ll try to get it all down so that you can understand it. My mission president called me up on transfers and told me that I was going to be serving with the previous assistant Elder Kimble, “How’s your Spanish”. I said, “I don’t know any Spanish. The only thought that came to mind was I could order a burrito from Baracoa in Spanish, but that’s about it ha ha. So anyway, about a day goes by, and I receive another call from President Peterson, saying that I was going to be serving with Elder Asay. So, I was like great, still in a Spanish companion ship.

So it has been really stressful cause this whole week I have been trying to learn Spanish. I can almost say a simple prayer, but that’s it. We went to church, and it’s basically a Spanish ward. Half of the talks where in Spanish, and surprisingly enough I got the just of it. We also had class in Spanish. Wow… go missions, they really push you to your limits.

Then, in church I saw my mission president and he told me he wants me to focus more on French, and have Spanish come after. So that was some weight lifted from my shoulders; thank goodness. However, we still have rendezvous in Spanish, and pretty much search for Spanish people to talk to. I am the designated listen for Spanish; when I hear it, I call the other elders over to talk to them, that’s my job ha ha. Along the way I get to speak French.

My companion is way tranquil, and way funny. We where porting, and I saw the name José, and I said, “Are you ready for this, in a movie advertisement voice, and he said "Bring it on José"; it was so funny. In that same building we where taking the elevator up to the top floor, but the door would not open. Then, it started going down again, and there was a guy standing there. He said to us, "you guys came back". We went back and talked to him a bit and fixed a time to go back to his house to talk. Then, the man went into his apartment. Elder Asay was like, "that was a MIRACLE"! He is really cool, I look forward to serving with him. He is from Dallas Texas, but he isn’t a hick at all.

We also had the chance to play soccer with the Spanish guys here. The field got so muddy cause we all had cleats. We where all sliding around and were all muddy. I stayed up the longest without falling, and then I really biffed it, like you would see in the movies, where they slip and fall face first into mud and get it everywhere. Then I heard my companion yell "the king has fallen", I just laughed.

It is really different being in Geneva, because it is so dang big. I have had the opportunity to talk with Americans; it’s so good to hear an American accent.

What else has been going on... we don’t really have any Amis right now, but we have faith that we will find some pretty soon.

Oh I forgot to tell you, I am in a one room apartment with four elders. It’s so dang small, but I must admit, it is very fun. I still think the mission is like a rollercoaster and I am on one of those 90 degrees drops right now, but in a good way like ahhhhhhhh…… I don’t know what I’m doing, but I’m going to do it anyways, kind of drops. I really don’t know what my President is thinking right now, because all the other Elders in the apartment have to leave next transfer. So, I think that he is going to be taking one Spanish companionship out of there. I don’t think I am staying more that one transfer, but we will see.

He says that I will be going senior companion soon, I don’t even think that I am ready for that. The good thing about being a Jr. Companion is if anything bad happens, you can blame it on the Sr. Companion ha…ha. When good stuff happens, you can take credit for it.

Well, I better get going. I love you all so very much. I wish I could tell you all in words, how great the Gospel of Jesus Christ is. It’s everything, its perfect; I love it, and I am so thankful to be a member of his church. I love having the opportunity to share this message that has blessed my life so very much, and then watch it bless and change the lives of others. You know that song count your many blessings. I love taking a step back and just really being able to see how the Lord has blessed me; you should try it.

I love you all,
Love Elder Schmidt

No comments: